Monday, February 11, 2013

Elusive Butterfly of Love

When I was young and foolish, this song by Bob Lind was one of my favorites. It is a beautiful song, a profoundly metaphorical poem set to music. I often hummed the song, or sang it to myself when I was feeling romantic and lonely.

Lately, I've found myself singing the song again. I do not know how or why this happened; maybe it was the proximity of Valentine's day.

Being the romantic, right-brain, scattered-out fuzz brain poet/musician/author that I am, I might have spent my entire 61 years chasing that elusive butterfly of love that the song describes.

But hey! That's not the way it happened. Thanks to Pat, my wife, I have spent the last 33 years, since 1980, actually IN LOVE instead of pursuing it as some unattainable ideal. Thank you, Pat!

That creature of love was not so elusive after all. And we have three grown earth-inhabitants to prove it.

I give thanks and praise to the Lord for that day in 1979 when I first saw her face as we stood in line for a musical/coffee house event in Asheville. . . reminds me of another old song.

CR, with new novel, Smoke, in progress

1 comment:

  1. Elusive Butterfly is an amazing song by Bob Lind, but you will be happy to know that he has just released a brand new album, FINDING YOU AGAIN, that is so much better than anything he has done before!

    ReplyDelete