Thursday, February 11, 2010

Got priorities?

During extremely difficult circumstances such as these blizzards that now immobilize us, we should take a close look at our priorities. Determine what is truly important in this life, and act accordingly.
I've decided that what really matters is more clearly seen if I ask myself this question: What can I do to help?
What can I do? today, to help: ~those people whom I encounter today, ~those whom I love and who are dear to me, ~myself.
Here are the answers I proposed to myself, and now offer them to you:
1.) I need to have a good attitude, one that will inspire others rather than discourage them. Only one person in the world can control my attitude, and I am he.
2.) Take my responsibilities seriously. There are millions of people out there who have made mistakes; I am one of them; these shortfalls collectively make the mess in which we now find ourselves. Furthermore, the immensity of this winter weather tribulation is evidence enough to convince me that now is not the time for assigning blame (we cannot blame anyone for a blizzard) ; rather, now is the time for assigning tasks, accepting them gratefully, and faithfully performing them. I am fortunate to have a job, and a few other familial/community responsibilities. What's important is that I do my job, and do it with a good attitude.
What about you? Do you have a job? No?
If not, ask yourself this question anyway: What can I do to help? When you hear an answer, then do it, whether or not it involves getting paid for it. Because we've got a lot of work to do digging out of this mess.
And remember these ancient words of wisdom: "He has told you, O man, what is good, and what does the Lord require of you: but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."
Don't believe in God? Even if you eliminate the God words, it's still good advice:
1.) Do justice.
2.) Love mercy.
3.) Walk humbly.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post -- and a fascinating blog. Thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete