Saturday, September 25, 2021

Evolution of American Protest

 (also known as Don’t do this; don’t do that.)

1774:

“Don’t Tread on Me!”   

 Patriot Christopher Gadsden designs a serpentine symbol to depict--and protest--the tyranny of the British king, George III.

DontTread

1863:

Don’t Destroy our Union!

President Abraham Lincoln commemorates the brave sacrifice of soldiers at Gettysburg who gave their lives in the cause of keeping our United States united.

“. . . we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”  

       President Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg battlefield dedication.

1881: 

Don’t fling me in dat briar patch! 

Southern author Uncle Remus documents the struggle--the desperate plea of B'rer Rabbit as he pleads with B'rer Fox not to inflict a most dreadful fate. 

  "Do anything you want with me – roas' me, hang me, skin me, drown me – but please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch"

    B’rer Rabbit, as reported by Uncle Remus, later consecrated as classic myth by Walt Disney's crew of cartoonists.

1920-1930:

Don’t take away our booze!  George Cassiday 

1953:

Don’t mess with my blue jeans!  Marlon Brando

1955:

Don’t mess with my blue jeans.   James Dean

1956:

Don’t Step on My Blue Suede Shoes” 

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uke1B0FpIZ8    Elvis Presley

1969:

Don’t you know its gonna be all right.”   John Lennon

“You say you want a revolution; well you know, we all wanta change the world. You tell me that it’s evolution; well you know, we’d all love to change the world; but when you talk about destruction, don’t you know that you can count me out. Don’t you know it’s gonna be allright!

1972:

"Don’t mess around with Slim."  Jim Croce

“You don’t Tug on Superman's cape
 You don’t spit into the wind
 You don’t pull the mask off that ole Lone Ranger, and
 You don’t mess around with Slim”

2000:

Don’t mess with my jeans! 

Jeans

2021:

Don’t mess with my genes!  

DontVax

Glass Chimera

No comments:

Post a Comment