Saturday, September 26, 2026

Steve and Tucker

Driving three kids to school, five mornings of every week, in the 1990’s I would listen to NPR Morning Edition, hearing the voice of Steve Inskeep delivering news headlines of the day. We didn’t have a TV, comfortable as we were in a Christian community and a New Testament, charismatic church. We were inclined toward conservatism. The absence of a TV in our home meant that our household was nothing like the two households that my wife and I had grown up in, both of them Catholic. That absence of TV meant that I never watched Fox News. So we had a conservative world view but no Fox influence, if you can grok that in this day and age. All that to say. . . I never thought I would hear Steve Inskeep interviewing Tucker Carlson. Never having listened to Tucker, I was amazed at Tucker’s assessment of trump’s self-proclaimed war on Iran.
The beauty of this development is that Tucker is such an eloquent defender of good ole American common sense, in his criticism of trump’s self-proclaimed war against Iran. Here are just a few of Tucker’s comments that so profoundly reveal the dilema of being an American in this time of trump’s war: “He was pushed by a foreign country (Netanyahu) to do this (war). It is the most profoundly destructive single decision a president has made in our history.” . . . “ He should have been removed from office immediately when he threatened nuclear war.”. . . “He should have been removed from office by his own cabinet secretaries the moment he threatened a nuclear attack.” (25th amendment) “There’s no greater threat than that”. . .” here you have a guy threatening to eliminate the human race.”. . . “I disagree, almost entirely with everything the Secretary of Defense (Hegseth). . . and I’m going to call him the secretary of defence because I don’t acknowledge that a decent country would have a secretary of war.”. . “The republican chairman, Bryan Mast of Florida showed up wearing an IDF uniform, a foreign military uniform.”. . . “ What you’re seeing now is the control of what was supposed to be the strongest country in the world by a country of nine million people with no resources.”. . . “None of this (criticism) is anti-semitic.” “As someone who opposed Obama. . . it took a huge amount of courage to get that (Obama’s peace deal with Iran) done.” “Iran is a regional power; it’s always going to be a regional power. It’s also the world’s oldest civilization.” …“the push for war with Iran. . .this will destroy the United States, I thought.” . . . “The majority of American Jews who were polled are not for Netanyahu.” “That was important to me, that the Republican party change, from being a tool of a foreign country (Israel) to being an instrument of uplift for the United States.” “ I would urge. . . the vice president, every member of the cabinet, everyone who works for the president, to march into his office and demand that he renoune his statements calling for the use of nuclear weapons, and if he doesn’t do that, they should quit.” “The number one thing I wanted to achieve was to get the neo-cons out of the Republican party because they did the Iraq war.” . . . “I don’t pay attention to the numbers.” “The real threat . . . is that you become a monomaniac. . . you get so mad about a topic that you can’t stop talking about it.. . totally fixated on this one thing”. . .“I know who I am.” This youtube viewer concludes, based on Tucker’s testimony, we should all know who we are, and not allow the push and shove of politics or world events or the cultural wars to interfere with our own individual missions in life. Glass half-Full

No comments:

Post a Comment