Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Ticket to Handel

Comfort ye, my people.

They say that
George Frederick Handel wrote his best known musical oratorio in London during the space of two or three weeks. That's hard for me to comprehend, especially after experiencing the Messiah's immense musical scope and spiritual conviction in Charlotte last Wednesday night. The North Carolina Symphony and Oratorio Singers of Charlotte performed, while I, stunned with constant amazement, watched and listened, along with my wife Pat, and daughter Kim, who had so thoughtfully gifted our tickets. There's mine, up at the top of the blog.

"I have waited all my life for this," I told Kim, as we were ascending that grand stairway at the Blumenthal.

It's true.

After Handel's symphonic overture, the opening words, lifted from our ancient prophet Isaiah, sounded forth from the mouth of the tenor: "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God."

Glass half-Full

No comments:

Post a Comment