Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Authoritarian Ducks

“Friends, humans, snackers, give us some treats!”
Ducks2

When the dark Duck of the South is floating on the pond,
and the greens, wings and flings of Spring respond,
observe  with me now the ducks as they cavort,
and I’ll tell thee a tale of a different sort.

As I did chance upon this lovely pond of the Queen city,
methinks I encountered two green-headed ducks, quite pretty.
As I did watch them they made likewise to observe me
and they noticed me munching on some cracker delicacy.

They commenced to approach my pondside perch quite boldly
and did by their quickened quacks begin to entreat me
for some morsels of my whole wheat crackers
‘cause I had landed there as a pondside snacker.

No sooner had I tossed them a tidbit or two
than two others like them waggled over to get some too.
But as the newcomers did paddle their approach
the first two judged their entrance as a fowl reproach.

Thus ducks one and two did confront their mallard cousins
and assail them with quackish protests by the dozen.
I beheld as these first two wiggled wildly their duckish butts,
chasing away the offending intruders with quackerish cuts.

As I am a human with tendencies to taxonomy,
methoughts I’d take note these behaviors of birdbrain ferocity,
as their hubris did remind me of the ancient imperial city
where bullies intimidate their kin with fierce intensity.

Vittorio

Methinks these bossy birds are of the bullish Roman variety,
having no tolerance for taxish quacks from the Euro birdbrainery.
Like their Hungarian cousins doing their own territorial hustles,
these haughty ducks harass their meddling cousins back to Paris or Brussels.

“Friends, humans, snackers, toss us some snacks!”
those bold ducks had demanded—them greedy green hacks, 
as if . . . "don’t waste your snacks on those lingering slackers.”
So I gathered my crackers and took leave of those quackers.


No comments:

Post a Comment