Thursday, August 20, 2026
North Carolina
When I was a teenager in the 1960’s, I had a record player that would spin black vinyl 33 rpm disks, sending musical waves like magic into my room so I could listen to Peter, Paul and Mary, or Judy Collins, or the Beatles, or Joan Baez.
Joan, as an authentic folk singer, before folk was later merged into rock, sang a song called “East Virginia”, which included these words, “I was born in East Virginia; North Carolina I did roam; there I met a fair, pretty maiden; her name and age I never did know.” Later, much later, that’s exactly what I did, except I did know her name, and she has shared my name, Rowland, for 45 years. We passed that family name onto our son and two daughters.
But anyway, getting back to my North Carolina memories. . . James Taylor came along at some moment in time with his song “Carolina on my mind”. That must have been the genesis of my decision to move there in 1974. Later, much later, our two daughters studied Journalism and University of North Carolina, Chapel. That was a year after our son joined the Duke blue devil brigade in Durham in the 1990’s.
So, why North Carolina? While living on the gulf coast of Florida, back in ‘75, I saw a movie one night, “Where the Lilies Bloom”, about a family living in the mountains of North Carolina. I decided to move to that place, although I didn’t know much about it. One thing I did know, however, was that, back in the 1930’s, Thomas Wolfe had written the great American novel, Look Homeward Angel., a fictionalized autobiographical book about growing up in Asheville. So. . . long story short. . . that’s where I went, and stayed there until 1979.
While working as a salesman for a printing company, I met the love of my life. Pat was a student at UNCAsheville. Her parents were living in Charlotte. Our frequent visits there provided an opportunity to become intimately familiar with the Queen City, named after the wife of King George III, the British monarch whose soldiers we had had to eject from America during our Revelation.
A little known fact about Mecklenburg County (greater Charlotte) is that the patriots there were the first Americans to write a declaration of Independence, even before we Americans all got together in Philadelphia to write the official, historic Declaration of Independence.
Soon after Pat graduated from UNCA, we moved to Boone, where we’ve been ever since, except for a short two year experiment with coastal living in Wilmington in the mid ’80’s, which was very nice, but I guess we were born to be mountaineers, even though she was raised in New Jersey and I had emigrated from Louisiana.
Boone is a town in the northwest corner, a few miles from Grandfather Mountain. I landed a job working with a crew of rodbusters to complete the Linn Cove Viaduct, the missing link of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which had not been completed back in the 1930’s.
One thing this is sure. The state of North Carolina is serious about literacy and education; that’s why we have campuses all over the state. . . Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Wilmington, including one in Boone named for our chosen region, Appalachian State University.
Today we are relaxing on an Atlantic beach, on Oak Island, 322 miles from our home in the Blue Ridge.
Listen to the song I sang about putting on my Murphy-to-Manteo shoes: careyrowland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment