Sunday, June 5, 2022

Overcoming Dirty Tricks

After reading an article this morning about the dirty tricks that Richard Nixon used to fortify his political ambitions, I remembered that I had written a song that mentions, in the third verse,  the aforesaid “dirty tricks” of tricky dick. 

Watergate

In that song about my g-generation, I composed four verses, one verse about each decade of our boomer baby shared experience. 

Not intending to dis those earliest boomers who popped out in the ’40’s, I nevertheless began my song with a verse about the 1950’s, because I was born in ’51. It goes on from there with a verse about the ’60’s, then the ’70’s and  the’80’s. The last verse lumps the ’90’s and the ’00’s together because I was confused when when I was singing it. (It was a confusing time).

Perhaps you would be interested in hearing it: Boomer’s Choice

A couple of years ago, we Americans suffered an onslaught of dirty tricks of a different kind. You can hear my musical account of those destructive attacks, here: Star-spangled Capitol

As it turned out, this song borrows the melody from our national anthem, because the anthem emphasizes the role of some valiant public servants whose heroic action prevented the downfall of our Rule of Law. 

 I hope you don’t mind,  I hope you don’t mind, that I put down in words . . . how wonderful life is when you live in a functional democratic republic.  

A republic, as Ben had said, if we can keep it!

And as Jim Croce once sang: I’ve got a song; if it takes me nowhere, I’ll go there proud. 

Jan6riot

I hope you will hear it, and may the bird of freedom fly up your flagpole.

Glass half-Full 

No comments:

Post a Comment