Sunday, June 16, 2024

Recalling Redemption

    Childhood memories of Mississippi in the 1950’s provide historical context for my story, early education wrapped in Catholic school memories, although that deep postwar South was a beehive of Protestant buzzing. . . then a move to Louisiana layered my childhood experience into a ‘Cajun’ French gumbo dominated by Catholicism and high school named “Redemptorist.”

    Today, at age 72, I am pondering that concept, “redemption”, which is layered into my post-LSU season of sales in Florida, a brief jail sentence there and ultimately a trek to the promised land in lofty Appalachian wonderland, Asheville, Aspen of the East.  My elevated worldview was intensified there, including a failed attempt to start a newspaper, the purpose of which was to block the severing of a mountain so that a road could go through.  But have no fear. An unexpected Nashville opportunity yielded a serendipity album of original music: 


    By 'n by, disillusionment and a failing marriage compelled me to hit the road, Austin bound. But that musical quest propelled me to a crossroads and a road less traveled—Waco, where i had a pentacostal encounter with people who were serving the King of Kings. . . changing my course, my values, my priorities, my path through life. Who’d have thunk it? 

Then . . . a momentary rambling around the Rockies for week or two, stopping along the road at some point to compose a song on my guitar, “Follow,” which you can hear at  http://www.careyrowland.com  



After a while, I journeyed into the decision to return to Asheville, where I rounded up some friends and recorded a second album. 


    Funny thing happened on the way to the Kingdom of God, brutha Bo’b caught the train to heaven at about that same time; he did a vinyl which included an intense gospel message, including the most basic gospel message of all: “He’ll replace wrong with right!” 

Years later, in the domestic haven of love, marriage and raising three young’uns, I turned, having left the vinyl circular behind, to writing books. So far, in this life, I’ve managed to publish four volumes that illuminate an historical view of this world:  Glass half-Full, Glass Chimera, Smoke, King of Soul, which you can read snippets of at   http://www.careyrowland.com  


Lastly, I will mention that that last novel, King of Soul, (Thank God for Jeff Bezos and Amazon KDP) is a story about what happened to our nation during the war in Vietnam.  



No comments:

Post a Comment